Thursday, January 5, 2012

Spice up your core routines

Hey folks - as we endure this rotten cold weather, we may be forced to do our core workouts at home.   Are you tired of the same core routines, and need some zesty challenges?   Try these 2 modifications!    I got these inspirations a few yrs ago, talking to my pal Larisa.    As a personal trainer, she advises clients on regular conditioning and agility routines.   She's one of the fittest people I've ever met and I admire her talents immensely.   I'm pleased that she often provides educational seminars to our group!   
 
Here's how to make your core work spicier today.   Net is, I characterize core conditioning in a spectrum of 3 "levels":
 
Level I:   you learn a portfolio of basic core strengthening routines.   These are the foundation of core, and the most important things you can do to improve your functional strength, balance, agility and stability.   Folks can happily spend many years in this level, taking pilates classes @ Finley, perhaps Debbie's strength class, perhaps Paula's sports class, Boot Camp classes, perhaps DVDs, etc.   There are literally thousands of exercises to learn!    I've spent several years in this zone, and still have much to learn.
 
Level II:   you increase the intensity of those Level I routines via 2 concepts that I call "drop a limb" and "destabilize the working surface".    I LOVE these 2 concepts!   Here's a quick explanation of the 2:
    a)    "drop a limb"   this is a great way to make your Level I workouts tougher and zestier.   You do the Level I workouts as normal, except you drop a limb whenever appropriate.   A great example of this is to do a plank for 1min, except to raise 1 leg and hold it.   Or, when doing your side plank, you raise your top leg upward and hold it.   As you can imagine, there are hundreds of ways you can modify Level I exercises... just think, "if I took an arm or a leg out of this exercise, how could I make it nastier?"   :  ) 
    b)   "destabilize the working surface"   this is another neat way to increase the intensity of your Level I workouts.   There are countless ways to do this, the idea is to make the surface you're working on to be mobile.   That requires you to use more core work to stabilize yourself.   A good example is to do a plank as normal, except that you're balancing your upper body on an aeroball.   Or, you do a plank but with your feet balanced on an aeroball.    Or, you can use paperplates on a hardwood floor.    Or, a boso ball.   Or stability saucer.  You get it.  TRX classes offered @ Finley are related to this concept, as the "working surface" involves finding balance while suspending your legs, arms, etc in fabric straps that are suspended from a fixed metal bar.   Now, that's mobile!    There are lots of tricks you can do to make the working surface mobile and TOUGH! 
 
Level III:  you learn advanced routines.   Examples of these are what we learn and do during Larissa's seminars.  Crazy, powerful stuff!   We'll explore this topic more during our core seminars this season.
 
Happy training folks.  Get Crazy Fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment